License Status v3.6 Released
October 23, 2012
This release improves the parsing of users that have spaces in their
name or display.
To do this some rules were added that attempt to determine the user's
host or display. These rules are relatively simple, so there will be
situations where the user's information will not parse correctly.
In those cases any spaces will be assumed to be part of the user's
License Status v3.5 Released
September 18, 2012
This update provides support for multiple checkouts by the same user.
For some situations a user can check out more than one license from the
same host and display. In the lmstat report this is shown as:
user11 comp11 comp11 (v2.0) (SERVER1/27001 209), start Sun 9/16 8:21, 2 licenses
License Status will now read the number of licenses checked out and display
it in the new 'Checked out' column. By default this column is not displayed,
but it can be turned on anytime.
This change also corrects the issue where the feature information did not
report the same number of licenses being used as the lmstat report did.
Previously I assumed that the number of users would equal the number of
licenses in use, which is not correct when the user can check out more
than one license.
License Status v3.4 Released
July 27, 2012
A quick update which corrects another language related problem. This corrects
the problem where the checkout time was not displayed for all but a few
License Status v3.3 Released
July 26, 2012
License Status has been updated to correct a problem where it would crash when
refreshing the status. This was caused by the language Windows was using,
effectively making it unusable on all but a few English languages. Now it will
work with all languages.
License Status v3.2 Released
June 14, 2012
I've released v3.2 of License Status with these changes:
You can now turn on and off columns in the detail view.
Trying out a new application icon. It's Metro inspired so it doesn't exactly
fit with the typical Windows 7/XP icons, but it's a lot easier to draw.
The class library, LicenseManager.dll, is now using .NET 4.0 like the rest
of the application.
Various internal changes.
Improved Multiple Monitor Support
April 1, 2012
License Status had basic support for multiple monitors in that the window would
be restored to whichever monitor it was last used on. The problem was that it would
restore to a monitor even if the monitor was disconnected. I've updated it to ensure
that the window will be visible regardless of monitor configuration or resolution changes.
License Status Update
March 6, 2012
It's been a while, but I've finally taken the time to upgrade License Status to
use .NET Framework 4.0. Functionally nothing has changed, but visually you should
notice that the font display is sharper.
which only require .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 are still available.
License Status Public Release
August 30, 2009
Part of my work involves checking the status of FlexLM/FlexNet licenses. Usually
I would use LMTools or the lmstat command line to get the status. While these get
the job done I wanted something a little more usable. So I made my own program,
License Status, and decided I'd make it available to anyone that wants it.
License Status reads the output of lmstat and presents it in a sortable table. Multiple
licenses can be displayed. For those parts of lmstat that are not shown (such as
redundant server information) the original lmstat report can be shown.
License Status requires .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1.
The other reason I wanted to create this program was to try out WPF.
After the initial learning curve, WPF's data binding and customizable controls made
it easy to create the UI. But I did encounter two issues with License Status.
First, and I'm not sure if this is noticeable to everybody, is the
blurry font display in WPF. Even though I ignored this in License Status
I would be concerned about making a production program that users would be reading
The second, and more significant, issue is as much my fault as the design of WPF.
If you have several hundred features in a license there is a noticeable pause in
the UI as the display is updated. If you have a thousand or more this pause becomes
This is a fault in my code because I have not optimized the list handling. To keep
things simple I chose not resolve this in this version.
The other aspect of this issue is that it is how WPF's ListView is designed. For
those who know WPF you know there is a VirtualizingStackPanel which basically improves
the performance of a large list. The problem in License Status is that I've enabled
grouping which disables virtualization.
Possibly when .NET Framework 4.0 is released I'll reexamine these issues.
In case it would be useful to anyone else I've implemented a class library, LicenseManager.dll.
This is where the actual processing of the lmstat output is done. This only requires
.NET Framework 2.0 to make it more accessible.
About License Status
License Status reads the current status of FlexLM/FlexNet licenses (using lmutil's lmstat command) and presents it in a more usable table format.
License Status is an alternative to the LMTools Server Status tab.
- Display the license information in an easy to use table
- Sort and group by feature, user, checkout time or other information
- View multiple licenses
- Quickly refresh the status at any time
- Automatic highlighting of users with borrowed features
- View the original text of the lmutil's lmstat command
If you have any questions, comments, enhancements, or, of course, bugs
then send me an email at LicenseStatus at outlook.com. Or
send me a message
- October 23, 2012 v3.6
- Add support for spaces within a user's name or display.
- Change About window to display the program version in major.minor format.
- Change background color from a gradient to a solid faint gray color.
- September 18, 2012 v3.5
- Added support for situations where the same user/host/display can check out more than one license.
- Added a column 'Checked out' to display the number of licenses a user has checked out. This column is turned off by default.
- Changed the Feature information to show the correct number of used licenses when a user can check out more than one.
- July 27, 2012 v3.4
- Corrected issue where the checkout time was missing for most locales other than basic English.
- July 26, 2012 v3.3
- Corrected issue where reading the status would cause a crash for most locales other than basic English.
- June 14, 2012 v3.2
- Added the ability to turn on and off columns in the detail view.
- Changed the application icon.
- Updated the class library, LicenseManager.dll, to use .NET 4.0.
- Updated various class library methods to use LINQ.
- April 1, 2012 v3.1
- Corrected issue where the window position would be restored to a second monitor even if that monitor was disabled.
- March 6, 2012 v3.0
- Updated to use .NET 4.0.
- Changed text formatting mode from Ideal to Display. This improves the "blurry" font display seen in WPF .NET 3.5.
- Replaced old Visual Studio installer project with a WiX installer.
- Corrected issue where the settings were not remembered when upgrading from a previous version.
- May 20, 2010 v2.4
- Changed the Help→About url to the Sourceforge project web site.
- Changed the copyright to 2010.
- October 17, 2009 v2.3
- October 9, 2009 v2.3
- Fixed issue with feature and vendor daemon name containing a period.
- August 30, 2009 v2.2
- August 17, 2009 v2.1
Download release notes